Saturday, November 26, 2005

Today was a whole day excursion to Regensburg. The main reason for the visit was to go to Alte Kapelle, the "Old Chapel" and they call it old because parts of the church are from the 9th century. The 9th century, now that is old. Old and beautiful. It is a sight to see.

After visiting the Cathedral, we were free to go shopping. The Christmas market was just starting and was selling some pretty cool things. I spent some money on Christmas gifts for family. I bought these pretty cool handmade stars, because I have a unhealthy obsession with things in the shape of a star (although it has to be a straight star, not these squiggly shaped things, but neat and clean). I also bought some handmade jewelry.

We also visited the Old Town Hall with the Imperial Hall guided tour. This was really interesting although I didn't understand much. The tour was mostly in German and I had to have parts translated from friends. The first part of the tour was through the Town Hall and this part had to be translated. Then we went to the second part of the tour and this was in English, which was interesting because there was a torture chamber. Now, I am not a fan of torture chambers or anything to do with them, but when you see things on Discovery or History channels that show this stuff, I am sure it peaks most people's interest. Its one of those weird fascinating things, that I am slightly creeped out that I think of it as fascinating. Anyways, they showed us some of the torture devices. It looked like a movie set, it didn't really strike me as realistic. It didn't help that the tour guide was making jokes and funny comments about the devices. However, it was interesting to see some of the things and the stories of what happened in the past.

Moving on, we also visited Oskar Schindler's apartment by standing outside of it and looking at the plaque on the wall. Again and obviously, in German so I had to have this roughly translated.

After the excursion, we headed back to Munich. There was an important event (important for college football (American) fans everywhere), the Florida vs Florida State game, the Gators vs the Seminoles, the greatest college rival game in college football. Being a Gator, of course I was psyched. They were playing at Florida this year and we were in Germany.

So immediately, once we got back to the hotel, we all showered and changed into our Florida gear. We went downstairs, claimed a computer as our own, got drinks from the bar and began to watch the updates on gatorzone.com. Now I am a football fans, I bleed orange and blue, and when presented with a bet, I will always bet on the Gators. This US army guy and his friend came to the bar that night. One was a Seminole and the other was looking for girls. We, of course, bet on the game and put 20 euro on each quarter and 50 for the final.

The poor guy. The first quarter he was safe, the score stayed 0-0. The next three quarters were rough. Needless to say, I took home about 90 euro, which is around 100 American dollars. Hmm... let's just say I may have made about 90 euro but spent about 100 euro that night. Drinks for everyone. Drinks for Gators. Drinks for army men. Drinks for bartenders. Drinks for strangers. Let's just say I am friendly to everyone when I win.

I will end this saying that I have had a good time, again, met more cool people, and had a memorable time.

No comments: