Tuesday, November 22, 2005

So... the first day was really exciting. Very invigorating. The next couple of days were about the same, exciting, new, and full of wonder.

My background is education, elementary education to be exact. What I learned of Hitler was from the very biased and half story, history books of high school. The reason I went on this trip was to travel more than it was to get history credit or learn about the history of Hitler. What I realized over these few days was that history is so important. People should really study about the past because it reflects so much in the present and future. I saw so many different places throughout Munich, I was just in awe. The neatest thing about this trip was my professor. He shared all of his knowledge with us and gave us really interesting tours around the town.

* If you visit Munich and are even slightly interested in history, I suggest finding a tour guide of some sort that can give you the history of the places of Munich. *

There were so many buildings that had a history. There weren't many signs around that pointed out each building, so if you didn't know before or have someone point it out, you would have just walked right by it. For example, the birthplace of the Nazi party, Sterneckerstrasse, is now a bedding store. Also, be sure to look down because there were a lot of signs or monuments that were on the pavement.

Some very interesting things that I saw and really recommend anyone to see:
· Bayrischer Hof Hotel, this is where Kurt Eisner was murdered. The monument to his is on the ground and looks like a metal chalk outline.
· Viscardigasse, this is also known as dodger's alley, behind the Feldherrnhalle. There is a place where Nazi soldiers stood and when you walked by, you would have to salute to them. The alley is a place where people would walk through to "dodge" the soldiers and make it so they did not have to salute the soldiers.
· Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, where the White Rose memorial is located. On the ground, there are replicas of the leaflets and other papers memorialized on the ground in front of the main building.

These are just some of the places that I saw while doing the walking tours of the city.


Now, to change the subject a little bit. I have had a wonderful time with the people in the group, as well as the people that we met at the hostel/hotel we stayed at. The Euro Youth Hotel (which I really recommend for tight budgets and younger people) has a bar on the first floor! Maybe you haven't understood me, but they have a BAR downstairs. How convenient and genius is that! And the bartenders, not only very cute, but very friendly. Every night I was down there and every night I met some new and interesting people. I had an hour conversation with a guy from Australia about tv shows and politics. It was quite entertaining.

And of course, during this time we visited the HofbrÀuhaus. Amazing and everything it is claimed to be. It was so much fun and we danced to the band that was there. It was really cool because not only were there a bunch of tourists but there were also locals there. And when we went there, a football (soccer for Americans) match had just ended so there was a group of guys that kept singing songs from their team. The beer that is sold there is apparently good. I tried the 'lemonade tasting' beer. As far as beer goes, it was good. They also sell them in the steins, which is about as big as your head. It was fun.

Also, I have to admit the food is getting better. I have tried other types of sausage and they are better than the ones I had the first day. I have also had some really good sauces. Although, admittedly I have started to spend more money on drinks here than I have on food. I'm not a drunk or anything, they just have a lot to offer. They have these after dinner drink/ palate cleansers. They have all kinds of flavors, cherry, orange, and pear. Pear is the most popular, although I am partial to cherry. And they are strong, but delicious. And besides it is cold outside, and I need to stay warm. I am from Florida, I have an excuse. But anyways, try them. They are very good.

So, up next we are visiting Dachau, which I am a little nervous about that. We are also visiting Regensburg, Neuschwanstein and Salzburg.

No comments: