Monday, November 28, 2005

Austria loves me. I love Austria. We have a connection that is deeper than words can explain. I say this because I was allowed in the country without having my passport checked. By the way, slightly disappointed because that means I didn't get a stamp. But thats okay, because Austria and I understand each other.

I really do like Austria. Today we were supposed to visit the Salzburg Fortress museum but we had options about what we wanted to do. Because I was a little museumed out and I decided to just explore the town. I visited, I think, about every shop around the Christmas market. I realized that I had been in Germany for about 9 days and bought only a couple of gifts. And most of the gifts that I bought were gifts that were intended for other people, but I decided I wanted them for myself. So now, I was back to no gifts and no time. So I figured, because me and Austria had this connection, I would buy the gifts for other people from Austria. These gifts came in the form of Christmas eggs. They are eggs that local school children create and sell at the market. There were literally millions of eggs throughout each store. I question whether all of these were made by children because there were so many, it would have taken them forever. Either way, I bought a dozen for family and friends and some for myself.

I also was told that Austria had good wine. I am not sure who told me this, but it was in my head. So I went to a store that sold just about anything imaginable, including Absinthe. I talked to the wine guy about buying wines for my mom. I enjoy alcohol to the extent of liquor. Beer and wine are not so much my thing, although believe me I have tried. Do you know how expensive it is to prefer liquor over beer? Anyhow, I told the guy what I thought my mom would enjoy, bought two bottles, and later found out she didn't like either. Oops. But, I did buy three different flavors of the after dinner drinks, pear, rasberry, and cherry flavored. Delicious. And most of my family enjoyed these although all of them felt they were too strong. Of course, this was back in 70 degree weather Florida so they don't have the same effect as they do in, say, 20 degree weather.

Also, I figured I should buy some chocolate. Just cause. I always think you should try chocolate in different countries. So I did, and they were delicious. I bought a bunch, some for the plane ride, some for family, and some just to try.

Talk about being scared going through customs when the food dogs come out. Remember this was my first time traveling alone and I was told to write 'no' to all of the questions, so 'no' I didn't have any food or drinks.
I held my breath as the dogs walked past my backpack full of wine, alcohol, and chocolate.

I am going to conclude this trip here. It was amazing! My first trip alone was successful, fun, and inspiring. Traveling is now like a drug to me. Germany was like my gateway drug to many more wonderful adventures. I learned a lot about myself in those short 9/10 days, I learned that I can be on my own, I learned that even though I don't know the language, I can get by with a little effort, bad pronunciation, and a lot of hand gestures. I also learned that even if you don't know anyone, you can have an amazing time and make memories that will last a lifetime.

So, go out and travel. Break the bank and have an adventure!

No comments: